Monday, June 16, 2014

Windows (8) Update Cannot Find the File Specified?

Hey.
Recently, my Windows 8 (NOT 8.1) computer (Lenovo Ultrabook ThinkPad) has absolutely refused to update in any way.

Update and Restart? It will restart, but it doesn't remotely update. It just restarts like it normally does.

Trying to update to Windows 8.1? Windows 8.1 could not install. Please try again.

Within Local Services, Windows Update is stopped. When I try to start it, it gives me the titular "Windows could not start the Windows Update service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

In properties, it says the executable is "C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" and I don't know about the '-k netsvcs' but the svchost.eve is nice and cozy in the System32 folder.

I don't know if it's related (it probably is) but a while back I had an issue that Windows Defender would not update. It said something about a network error (even though there wasn't one.) I did a system restore without effect and at the advice of my mom downloaded avast! Instead, which is running without problem. MalwareBytes didn't find anything either (though I did recently have a run-in with a browser hijacker, Conduit).

I don't have a recovery flash drive (my computer doesn't have a CD drive) so wiping the computer is out of the question.

I've found similar issues on the internet, but not the exact problem. I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer advice.

Read more: Windows (8) Update Cannot Find the File Specified?